901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Detailed Information

Name: BOMX No. 1200
Other Number:  New York Central (P&E) No. 8905, Penn Central(P&E) No. 8905, CR No. 8905, RBMN No. 1200
Railroad of Record: New York Central
Type of Equipment: GM-EMD, SW-7, 1,200 HP diesel-electric switcher
Manufactured By: General Motors, Electro-Motive Division
Date Built: November 1950


BOMX #1200 is an SW-7 diesel electric switcher locomotive, built by the Electro-Motive Division (EMD) of General Motors (GM) in La Grange, IL on November 19, 1950 (Serial #13013, Frame #6174-2). It was the second of seven identical switchers built for the Peoria & Eastern Railway (P&E), a subsidiary of New York Central (NYC). From 1950-1968, No. 8905 operated on the P&E under NYC Railroad. In 1968, the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) and New York Central merged into one company, becoming Penn Central (PC). The locomotive retained the P&E logo on the side until Penn Central was merged into Conrail (CR) in 1976.

On March 3, 1989, Conrail sold the locomotive to the Reading, Blue Mountain & Northern Railroad (RBMN), which operated several former Conrail coal branches out of Port Clinton, PA. The Conrail paint scheme was painted over and the locomotive was renumbered as 1200, a reference to the unit’s horsepower. From 1989-2002, the locomotive had the RBMN paint scheme, and eventually, Reading & Northern.

The locomotive was retired in 2002. It awaited a new home until 2004, when it was purchased by the museum for the primary purpose of pulling the museum’s passenger train. That year, it was painted in a red, white, and black paint scheme and given the BOMX designation.

In late 2017, the museum and the Conrail Historical Society formed a fundraising partnership, with the goal of restoring BOMX No. 1200 to Conrail No. 8905, making it the first restored Conrail locomotive in the world.

The No. 1200 is currently undergoing cosmetic restoration to Conrail No. 8905.



Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube

© 7/14/2020 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.