901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information

Name: C&O No.1700
Other Number:  PM No.134
Railroads of Record: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway & Pere Marquette Railway
Type of Car: Coach-lounge 54 coach seats, 9 lounge seats
Manufactured by: Pullman Company
Date Built: 1950

The C&O No. 1700 was a custom built coach intended for service between Detroit and Grand Rapids, Michigan. The No.1700 was originally built for the Pere Marquette Railway in 1950 by Pullman-Standard and was known as the No.134.

In 1950, the No.134 and other coaches were delivered to act as a supplement to the new Pere Marquette streamlined trains. By the time the supplements arrived, the Pere Marquette had merged with the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway. The No.134 kept its original design rather than being converted to the C&O's design but was renumbered as the No.1700. The No.1700 served the Michigan area until 1971 when the trains were discontinued. The No.1700 was then sent to work on the Western Maryland Railway as an instruction car. During the late 1970s, the No.1700 worked on the commuter service from Baltimore to Washington before its final retirement to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum.
 

 

View full album here.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 4/26/2019 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.