901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information

Name: B&O No.17001
Other Numbers: B&O No.X2068 & B&O No.X961
Railroad of Record: Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
Type of Car: Boxcar, Iron, 24'-3 ½ body length
Class: B&O Class "U"
Manufactured by: B&O Mt. Clare shops
Date built: 1863

Early boxcars were built out of wood. However the B&O began experimenting with the use of iron during the 1840s. During the Civil War, the B&O built boxcars with iron bodies and wooden frames. These boxcars were usually built to carry flour and gunpowder, which was placed in barrels. In 1863, the B&O No.17001 was built at the Mt. Clare shops. The No.17001 featured link and pin couplers and hand brakes that were typical of its time. The cost to produce the new iron boxcars was almost $200 more than the original wooden boxcars, but the demand from the military to produce these boxcars helped defray the costs. Despite their durability, the new iron boxcars had their problems. The iron tended to rust because of "internal sweating." By the 1870s, the B&O had stopped production of these iron boxcars. The No.17001 and the other boxcars built at this time were also used for general freight service. The No. 17001 ended its career in lime service. In 1927, the No. 17001 and its sister No. 17000 were displayed at the Fair of the Iron Horse.

The No.17001 was last used by the B&O for storage and was renumbered as the No.X-2068 and later renumbered as the No.X-961.
 

 

View full album here.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 12/13/2017 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.