901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information

Name: PM No.20054
Railroad of Record: Pere Marquette Railway
Type of Car: Covered hopper - two pocket
Manufactured by: Greenville Steel Car Company
Date Built: 1946

Car Weight: 26.7 tons
Load Capacity: 70 tons
Cubic Capacity: 1958 cu. ft.

The covered hoppers were some of the first freight equipment custom built to help reduce handling costs. The PM No.20054 was built in 1946 by the Greenville Steel Car Company for the Pere Marquette Railway. The No.20054 was one of the last pieces of rolling stock purchased by the Pere Marquette before the C&O and PM merged in 1947. The PM No.20054 was designed to haul heavy, dry materials, such as cement and industrial sand. The covered hoppers gave these materials protection from the weather and allowed them to be easily loaded and unloaded.

During its time on the C&O, the No.20054 was never repainted or renumbered to fit into the Chessie System. The No.20054 was retired during the 1970s and was stored in the Comstock, Michigan yards. Before the No.20054 arrived at the B&O Railroad Museum, the Western Michigan Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society refurbished it and gave it a fresh coat of paint.
 

 

View full album here.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 6/18/2019 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.