901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information

Name: C&O No.227839
Other Numbers: C&O No.17839
Railroad of Record: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway
Type of Car: Hopper - 50 ton center dump
Date Built: 1915

Load Capacity: 55 tons
Cubic Capacity: 1817 cu. ft

The No. 227839 was originally built for the Sandy Valley & Elkhorn Railway, which was a B&O subsidiary out of Shelby, Kentucky, in 1915. The No.227839 was built to haul coal out of the Big Sandy region in Kentucky. This car has longitudinal hopper doors. In 1925, the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) took over the Sandy Valley & Elkhorn Railway and all of its equipment. After the C&O gained control, the No.227839 was renumbered the No.17839. It remained in service until after World War II.

In 1950, the No. 17839 was removed from service and was used as part of a historic display train. The C&O repainted the No.17839 to its original paint scheme and renumbered it as the No. 227839. After the No.227839 retired from the display train, it was stored in the Logan, West Virginia shops for about 20 years. During the late 1970s, the No. 227839 was transferred to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum. The No .227839 is displayed as the only known surviving piece of Sandy Valley & Elkhorn equipment.
 

 

View full album here.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 12/11/2019 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.