901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information

Name: C&O No.314
Railroad of Record: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway
Type of Car: Baggage Car
Manufactured by: Pullman Company
Date Built: 1929

In 1929, the Pullman Company built 12 cars for express service on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O). The No.314 and its 11 sister cars were originally assigned to the Railway Express Agency service.  In 1950, the C&O modified the No.314 for baggage service and painted it to match the new streamlined paint scheme of yellow, blue, and silver. The No.314 served as a baggage car on the Washington-Cincinnati service during the mid-1960s.

On March 28, 1969, President Dwight D. Eisenhower passed away after a long illness. Three days later, the No.314 served as part of the last presidential funeral train. Before his death, President Eisenhower requested that his funeral train not be marked or decorated when it pulled out of Washington for Abilene, Kansas. When the train stopped in Cincinnati, Ohio, a single band of bunting and some flags were added to the train. President Eisenhower wanted to be transported home the way that a common solider would have. He had a plain, grey metal casket that was placed in the No.314 baggage car. On April 2, 1969, the No.314 arrived at the Union Pacific Station in Abilene, Kansas.

The No.314 retired to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum in 1971. Ten years after the death of President Eisenhower, the No.314 was the center piece of commemorative exhibit to honor the anniversary of the death of Dwight D. Eisenhower.

 

 

View full album here.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 12/13/2017 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.