901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information

Name: B&o No. 3316, "Washington"
Railroad of Record: Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
Type of Car: Observation lounge streamlined lightweight "bobtail type." 
Class: B&O Class Z-5
Manufactured by: Pullman Company
Date Built: 1949

The "Washington," No.3316, was built by the Pullman Company as a lounge car in 1949. The "Washington" was a streamlined observation car with 17 seat observation area and a 24 seat tavern. The "Washington" and its sister car, the "Chicago," were designed for the "Columbian," which was a post-war Washington-Chicago overnight streamliner. The "Columbian" was an all-coach flagship that followed the route of the all-Pullman "Capitol Limited."

In 1958, the "Washington" was transferred to the "Ambassador" service, which served Washington-Detroit. In 1961, the "Washington" became a part of the "Capitol Limited." Over the next decade, the "Washington" filled in whenever an extra lounge car was needed. In 1971, the "Washington" was retired from service and was donated to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum.
 

 

View full album here.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 12/13/2017 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.