901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information

Name: B&O No.633
Other Numbers: B&O No.9408
Railroad of Record: Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
Type of Locomotive: GM-EMD model SW 900
Builder No.: 20392
Manufactured by: General Motors, Electro-Motive Division
Date Built: 1955
Date Restored: 1992
Status: Operational

Locomotive Weight: 115 tons
Prime Mover: V-8 cylinder, model 567-C, 900 hp
Starting Tractive Effort: 35,000 lbs.


Beginning in 1954, General Motors manufactured 260 model SW-900 locomotives, 29 of which were purchased by the B&O in 1955. These switchers were sturdy and reliable and lasted until the 1980s when general purpose (GP) locomotives replaced them. At that time, the SW 900s retired and some were sold to short line railroads.

The B&O No. 633 was purchased in June 1955 and assigned to Riker Yard in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, on the B&O's Buffalo Division. It was renumbered from 633 to 9408 at the end of February 1957 while it was still assigned to Riker Yard. In January 1958, it was transferred north to the Buffalo Division's western New York territory where it spent most of its next seventeen years. Around 1975, the No. 9408 was leased to the Koppers Company in Green Spring, West Virginia. It worked as a tie preservation plant switcher until 1991. In 1991, the No. 9408 was returned to CSX and retired.

In 1992, the No. 9408 was donated to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum. Once the locomotive arrived at the museum, the challenging restoration process began. The No. 9408 received newly fabricated footboards and handrails. In November of 1994, the No. 9408 was restored to its original paint scheme of blue livery and renumbered as the 633.

 

 

View full album here.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 12/13/2017 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.