B&O Director's Car
Name: B&O Director's Car
Railroad of Record: Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
Type of Car: Horse Car - open sides, longitudinal benches on sides, 15' length.
Date Original Built: 1828
Date Replica Built: 1926
When the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) began operating in 1830, the first passenger cars were pulled by horse-drawn cars. In August 1830, the B&O Board of Directors were pulled by the "Tom Thumb" in the open-air car to Ellicotts Mills. The Director's Car that is held at the B&O Railroad Museum is a replica built in 1926 for the Fair of the Iron Horse. The Director's Car was also used in other pageants, displays, and exhibits. In 1977, the Director's Car was used to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the B&O. Once again, the Director's Car pulled B&O dignitaries to Ellicott City behind the Tom Thumb.
View full album here.