BS Co. No. 127
Name: BS Co. No.127
Railroad of Record: Bethlehem Steel Corporation
Type of Car: Hot Metal Car, also known as a submarine mixer car
Manufactured by: M.H. Treadwell
Date Built: c.1935
The hot metal car was one of the most specialized rail cars ever built. The hot metal cars transferred molten iron from the blast furnaces to a basic furnace, where it would be transformed into steel. The molten iron was poured into an open hatch on the car and then a plant switcher moved it to the pouring point. The car was operated by power cables, which were plugged into the car's electric motor. The hot metal runs were operated inside a single yard, however there were few cars that moved between separate plants. The B&O had a run that operated between Hamilton and Middletown, Ohio. The iron would remain molten up to 24 hours in the specialized car. The hot metal cars were also known as bottle-cars, torpedoes, and ladle-cars.
The hot metal cars were built with a thick metal plate and were lined with firebrick. They were extremely heavy and difficult to maneuver.
The larger hot metal cars had 16-wheel trucks and if they were completely full could, weigh 400 tons.
The BSCo No.127 was manufactured by M.H. Treadwell for the Bethlehem Steel Corporation around 1935. The No.127 was used at the company's Sparrows Point, Maryland plant until it was replaced by larger cars in 1977. The No.127 was capable of carrying between 105 and 125 tons of molten iron. In 1984, the Bethlehem Steel Corporation donated the
No.127 to the B&O Railroad Museum. In May 1997, the No.127 was moved to the Museum by CSX Transportation.
Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter Become a Fan on Facebook Watch videos on YouTube