CNJ No. 592
Name: CNJ No. 592
Railroad of Record: Central Railroad of New Jersey Type of Locomotive: 4-4-2 "Atlantic Camelback"
Date Built: 1901
Manufactured by: American Locomotive Company (ALCO)
Locomotive Weight: 95.50 tons (1901), 108 tons (1919) Driver Diameter: 85 inches (1901), 79 inches (1913)
Cylinders: 20.5 x 26 inches (1901), 22 x 26 inches (1913) Tractive Effort: 22,945 lbs (1901), 28,433 lbs (1913)
In 1877, John Wootten, the General Manager of the Reading Railroad created the 4-6-0 Camelback. His designed incorporated a larger firebox to accommodate the burning of waste anthracite coal.
The larger firebox required the engineer's cab to sit on the side of the boiler. The design also incorporated a composite injector, a Davis counter-balance and a water scoop for filling the tender in route. At the turn of the century, "Atlantic Camelbacks" pulled fast express trains and were considered the secret weapons of the Reading Railroad and the Central Railroad of New Jersey. They could travel at speeds of up to 90 miles per hour.
Camelbacks were given several different nicknames by engine crews.
Employees of the Central Railroad of New Jersey referred to the Camelbacks as "Mother Hubbard" while the B&O employees called them the "Snapper." Similar to the B&O Camels of the mid-nineteenth century, Camelbacks were dangerous and impractical for the crew. The design was eventually outlawed by the Interstate Commerce Commission.
The No. 592 was built by the American Locomotive Company (ALCO) in 1901. The No. 592 was often used on the Philadelphia to Atlantic City express route and also made appearances on the B&O's Royal Blue Line.
Since the No. 592 was capable of reaching speeds of 90 miles per hour, it was often used in emergency situations. In 1926, the No. 592 was chartered to rush film of the Dempsey-Tunney fight from Philadelphia to New York in time for the morning edition newspapers. Also in 1926, the No. 592 took Enrico Carouso from Philadelphia to New York in record, in order to meet an opera engagement. It is rumored that during these trips that speeds of over 100 miles per hour were reached.
In 1949, the No. 592 was retired from service and donated to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum on May 4, 1954.
Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter Become a Fan on Facebook Watch videos on YouTube