C&O No. 409
Name: C&O No.409
Other Numbers: HV No. 44 & C&O No. 551
Railroad of Record: Hocking Valley Railway Type of Car: Wooden Coach/baggage combine, 40-42 walkover coach seats, 69'-2" coupled in train.
Manufactured by: Pullman Company
Date Built: 1900
The era of the wooden passenger car was coming to an end in the early 1900s. The No. 409 combine was built by the Pullman Company for the Hocking Valley Railway in 1900 and was originally known as the No. 44. In 1930, the Hocking Valley Railway merged into the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O). After the No. 44 was acquired by the C&O, it was transferred to the Craig Valley Branch between Eagle Mountain and Craig City, Virginia and it was renumbered as the No. 551. In 1931, the No. 551 was upgraded with a steel frame and two partition passenger sections. Most likely, these sections were to separate white and African American passengers and smokers and non-smokers.
Along with these changes, the No. 551 was renumbered as the No. 409.
In 1954, the No. 409 retired from service as one of the last remaining wooden passenger coaches on the C&O. Originally, the C&O planned to scrap the No. 409 after its retirement. Instead the coach was sent to Logan, West Virginia for display at its centennial celebration. After the centennial celebration, the No. 409 participated in C&O traveling exhibitions before entering into the Baltimore & Ohio's Railroad Museum's permanent collection.
The No. 409's exterior and interior was recently restored in 2004 by the Strasburg Railroad shops in Strasburg, Pennsylvania. The restoration was generously funded by the North American Railway Foundation.
Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter Become a Fan on Facebook Watch videos on YouTube