Nova Scotia coach
Name: General Mining Association of Nova Scotia (GMA/NS) Director's Car, also known as the Bride's Car Railroad of Record: General Mining Association of Nova Scotia Type of Car: Passenger Coach Built by: Timothy Hackworth of London Date Built: c.1838
The Nova Scotia coach, also known as the bride's car, was built around 1838 by Timothy Hackworth of London. The purpose of the car was to transport the Director of the General Mining Association of Nova Scotia. The coach could carry six passengers and had a Bombay style body. According to local folk lore, the car carried the Director and his new bride back to their home after the marriage ceremony.
The B&O purchased the Nova Scotia coach in 1883 after publicist, J.G Pangborn, saw it at the Chicago Railway Exhibition. The coach along with the Samson (Nova Scotia's first locomotive) was displayed at the Fair of the Iron Horse in 1927. The Nova Scotia coach is one of only three pieces of North American passenger equipment from the 1830s to survive today.