901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information







PM No.11







PM No.11



PM No.11

Name: PM No.11

Other Numbers: C&O No.11, C&O No.8401

Railroad of Record: Pere Marquette Railway Type of Locomotive: GM-EMD model SW-1 600 hp switching locomotive.

Builder No.: 1714

Manufactured by: General Motors, Electro-Motive Division Date Built: April 1942

Status: Operational

Locomotive Weight: 96 tons

Prime Mover: EMD V-6 Model 567, 600 hp

Starting tractive effort: 48,100 lbs

By 1936, the General Motors, Electro-Motive Division (GM-EMD) began mass-producing diesel switcher locomotives. The lightweight diesel switchers afforded switch crews with improved visibility and efficient reversing and maneuverability compared to their steam counterparts. Three years later, the Pere Marquette Railway purchased its first diesel switcher. By 1942, it purchased its second, the PM No.11. The PM No.11 was painted black with gold lettering and featured a new 6 cylinder model 567 engine.

The No. 11 began its career moving hopper cars in Eireau, Ontario, but later moved to the yards in Sarnia. Shortly after the end of World War II, the No. 11 was repainted blue with yellow bands and red strips, and reclassified as class S-1A. In 1947, when Pere Marquette Railway merged with the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O), the PM No. 11 became the C&O No. 11. However, it took the C&O almost 20 years to repaint the engine in C&O colors. Eventually it was also renumbered as the No. 8401.

The No. 11/No. 8401 served over 40 years for the railroad industry, and was ultimately placed in storage in 1983. Officially retiring in 1984 with the distinction of being one of the oldest operating diesel locomotives, the No. 8401 joined one of the most historic railroad collections in the country at the B&O Railroad Museum. In 1987, the Museum restored the engine to its original Pere Marquette livery and road number.

The PM No. 11 was severely damaged in the 2003 Roundhouse roof collapse at the B&O Railroad Museum. It was recently restored in 2004.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 8/20/2014 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.