St. Elizabeth No.4
Name: St. Elizabeth No.4
Railroad of Record: St. Elizabeth Hospital Other Number: USA No. 714 Type of Locomotive: 0-4-0 T Date Built: 1950 Manufactured by: H.K Porter Company of Pittsburgh
The St. Elizabeth No. 4 was built in 1950 by one of the country's largest manufacturers of industrial locomotives, H.K. Porter Company of Pittsburgh. The No. 4 was a typical 0-4-0 switch engine, with a saddleback tank draped over the boiler and a compartment to carry coal in the rear. These switch engines were designed for use in areas with severe curvature, such as industrial complexes. The St. Elizabeth No.4 or "Little Lizzie" was used to pull hoppers of coal from a B&O connection to the St. Elizabeth Hospital in Washington, D.C. The coal carried by "Little Lizzie" was used to heat the hospital.
When the hospital switched from coal heat to oil heat, the No.4 was transferred to the U.S. Army's training railroad in Fort Eustis, Virginia. "Little Lizzie" was used in switching practices and was renumbered as USA No. 714. In the 1970s, the training facilities at Fort Eustis closed and the No. 714 was sold to the Cass Scenic Railroad in West Virginia. In 1980, the St. Elizabeth was given to the B&O Railroad Museum where it has been fondly remembered as the last steam locomotive produced by the H.K. Porter Company and one of the last steam locomotives ever produced in the United States.
Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter Become a Fan on Facebook Watch videos on YouTube