901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information

Name: B&O No.C-496
Railroad of Record: Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
Type of Caboose: wooden, cupola removed, 24' body, 30' over end sills
Class: B&O Class l-1A
Manufactured by: B&O Railroad shops in Washington, Indiana
Date Built: September 1923

In 1923, the B&O shop in Washington, Indiana built the No.C-496 as a class 1-1A wooden caboose. Later, the No.C-496 had its cupola removed because cupolas were not required for yard service or in situations where the caboose did not travel long distances.
During the 1960s, the No.C-496 was in service in Parkersburg, West Virginia until it was sent to Chillicothe, Ohio to be rebuilt. 

In 1970, the No.C-496 was retired from service. It was sold to the Fate-Root-Health Co. and then sold to a private owner in 1972. While the No.C-496 was owned privately, it was refurbished and repainted. The No.C-496 was brought to the B&O Railroad Museum in 1998.

 

 

View full album here.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 12/13/2017 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.