901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information

Name: Clinchfield No. 1
Locomotive Number: CC&I No. 1
Railroad of Record: Columbus, Chicago, & Indiana Central Railway
Type of Locomotive: 4-6-0
Class: G7
Date Built: April 1882

Locomotive Weight: 55.6 tons
Driver Diameter: 50 inches
Cylinders: 18 x 22 inches
Tractive Effort: 15,100 lbs

The Clinchfield No.1 was originally built in 1882 for the Columbus, Chicago, & Indiana Central Railway, which became a predecessor railroad to the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR). First known as the No. 423, the locomotive was considered a typical freight engine of its day with 50 inch driving wheels to accommodate the large and low fire box. Its tender was capable of carrying 8.5 tons of coal.

The Clinchfield No. 1 has been owned by numerous railroads.  Around the turn of the century, it was sold to the Ohio River & Charleston Railroad and began a career of hauling logs and coal  in Tennessee and the Carolinas. In 1913, it received the nickname of "Number One" when it was leased to the Black Mountain Railway. In 1955, the No. 1 was sold back to its original company, now known as the Clinchfield Railroad, who then sold it to the city of Erwin, Tennessee for display in a downtown park until 1968.

In 1968, the No. 1 was sold back the Clinchfield Railroad and was restored to its original form and operating condition.  For the next ten years, it was the main attraction at public service trips and railfan events throughout the Clinchfield territory.  At that time, the No.1 became known as one of the longest consecutive running steam locomotives in the United States.

In June of 1979, a cracked frame ended the career of the No.1.  Shortly after its forced retirement, the No.1 was given to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum and restored. In the summer of  1984, the No.1 was up and running once again for short train rides given to museum visitors.

In 1955, the # 1 was sold back to the Clinchfield Railroad by the Ohio River & Charleston Railroad who then sold it to the city of Erwin, Tennessee for display in a downtown park until 1968. In 1968 the Clinchfield Railroad bought it back and restored it to its original form and operating condition. For the next ten years it was the main attraction at public service trips and railfan events throughout the Clinchfield territory. In June of 1979 a cracked frame ended the career of the # 1. After its forced retirement, it was given to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O RR) Museum in 1981.

During the summers of 1979 and 1980 the B&O RR Museum ran the representation of the Tom Thumb as a tourist attraction and it was very popular. So the museum's manager, Marian Smith, decided to see if the Clinchfield # 1 could be run on the museum's grounds pulling a car load of visitiors.   

During the summer of 1982 the B&O RR Museum received permission from the FRA to run Clinchfield # 1 on the museum's track from the museum to Mt. Clare Mansion if it could pass inspection. So, in August, 1982, it was sent to Chessie's Riverside Shops for evaluation. The work was completed at a cost of only a few hundred dollars, thanks to shop employees who made the project a labor of love. The job was done on a time-available basis according to Roy Hatton, general supervisor of the shops. By the spring of 1983 the engine was ready to be returned to the B&O RR Museum. On the day it was to be moved to the museum under its own steam, the shop's engineer was not available, so the general supervisor came over to E. M. Todd, the shop's fireman, and asked him if he would drive the engine over to the museum. Todd was then given a quick three hour lesson on how to drive a steam engine.

The Clinchfield #1 made its first run from the B&O Railroad Museum on June 18, 1983 with an open window coach in tow. It continued to run one weekend each month for the next three months.

Restored by B&O Riverside Shop forces in Baltimore, former Clinchfield 4-6-0 No. 1 steams forth June 18, 1983 on the first revenue run from B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore to Mount Clare Junction, 1 mile. Short round trips for museum patrons are set for each third weekend in August, September. (TRAINS, September, 1983, Alex Mayes, photographer.)

In 1984 the B&O RR Museum asked the FRA for an extension on the flues to operate the engine again on museum grounds. The FRA agreed following an inspection of the engine. So again in 1984, Clinchfield #1 ran on Saturday and Sunday during the months of June, July, August and September. Again in 1985 the museum asked the FRA for another extension. Unfortunately, this time the FRA would not grant the extension. The FRA also pointed out that to pass an inspection it is also necessary to replace the R-3 wheel box liner on account of excessive lateral motion. The Clinchfield #1 was then returned to the museum where it became a static display.

In August, 1882, the Logansport Shops of the Columbus, Chicago & Indiana Central Railway (C.C.&I.C.Ry) built a ten-wheeler, No. 423, Class E (a PRR general freight design developed in 1868). A typical general-service freight engine of her day, she has fifty-inch driving wheels, the hindmost pairs spread to accommodate her large and low-slung firebox. Her 18"x22" cylinders and 165 psi boiler generated tractive effort of 15,100 pounds. She carried 8.5 tons of coal and 2,900 gallons of water in her tender.

The C.C.&I.C.Ry. was formed as part of the Pennsylvania  Lines West in 1868 and was a vital route making up the Southwest System. This road had its shops located in Logansport, Indiana. Like many of the early, small shops, Logansport occasionally endeavored to rebuild older power, resulting in the reconstructed and/or reboiled locomotives being turned out on the road. The Southwest Shops turned out at least 14 of this style engine, which are believed to be new locomotives, rather than rebuilds. There is little known about the Logansport Shops, as in the case with others on the old Southwest System, each belonging to subsidiaries of the Pennsylvania Company.

    In the Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum in Strasburg, PA is what was thought to be the only existing survivor of the Pennsylvania Railroad's early motive power development, the PRR 2-8-0, No. 1187, built in January, 1888 under the original letter classification used by the PRR from 1868 to 1897. With the discovery of the heritage of the Clinchfield No. 1, there is now another older survivor of the PRR's original letter classification.

The C.C.&I.C.Ry was sold January 10, 1883 by forclosure and reorganized, effective April 1, 1883, as the Chicago, St. Louis & Pittsburgh Rail Road (C.,St.L.&P R.R.).This locomotive was relettered  March 17, 1883 to Chicago, St. Louis & Pittsburgh Rail Road (C.,St.L.&P RR) No. 423. The new company was abolished under a merger on October 1, 1890 and became part of the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Rail Way (P.,C.,C&St.L.R.W.). All of these subsidiaries were controlled by the Pennsylvania Company, the operating segment of the Pennsylvania Railroad for its Lines West. So, once again, this engine was relettered P.,C.,C&St.L.R.W. while keeping the same number 423.

It is generally understood and is mentioned in several records that this locomotive was used at Johnstown, PA as a relief train engine during the flood of May 1889.

On August 31, 1897, the locomotive was renumbered to 543 at Logansport, and on October 1, 1897 was reclassified to G2. It was finally sold on  March 2, 1900 for $2500.00 to the Ohio River & Charleston Ry. It was lettered for that railway at Columbus, Ohio and renumbered 5 on that date. Through paper changes the road evolved into the South & Western Railway in January 1903, and into the Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio in April, 1908. She was renumbered to 1 in April, 1913 when she went to the Black Mountain Railway, a logging line running from a Clinchfield connection at Kona, N.C. 23.4 miles southwest into the Black Brothers Range near Eskota, N.C. Black Mountain No. 1 kept this home until 1955 when Clinchfield sold the Black Mountain (by then pared down to 13 miles) to the citizens of Yancey County. The short line became the Yancey Railroad Company. No. 1 went home to Erwin, was spruced up a bit externally, and on December 7, 1955, was sold to the town of Erwin for display.

The Clinchfield Railroad purchased the locomotive back from the town of Erwin on September 10, 1968 and began rebuilding it on September 23, 1968 in the Clinchfield Shops in Erwin. The restoration of the locomotive was completed on November 18, 1968. The first road trip under steam was made from Erwin to Kingsport, TN on November 23, 1968. For the next ten years, she headed up a popular series of railfan excursions and public-service trips throughout Clinchfield territory, billed as the oldest operating steam locomotive in the country. Because the engine was so small, she needed help on the Clinchfield grades when hauling heavy passenger cars. Consequently, a Multiple Unit (M.U.) control device was thought up and perfected to control a diesel unit behind the steam engine. For most excursions this diesel unit was an EMD F7B. Occasionally, a second EMD F7B would be used for very hilly areas. A cracked frame ended her active life in June, 1979. After a thorough cosmetic restoration, she was generously donated to the B&O RR Museum in March 1981 by the Family Lines Railroad System, Chessie's partner railroads under CSX Corp.
 

 

View full album here.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 4/26/2019 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.