901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information

Name: BOMX #144, Ron Drucker

Other Numbers: PRR No. 8286 (Tiffin Inn), PRR No. 1504, PC No. 1504, SEMTA No. 104, MARC No. 144

Railroad of Record: Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum

Type of Car: 21-Roomette Sleeper Car; Passenger Coach

Manufactured by: BUDD Company

Date Built: 1949


In 1949, the Pennsylvania Railroad ordered fifty class PS21B sleeper cars. Each was built as a twenty-one roomette and numbered 8241-8290. Each was given the name of an inn and dubbed the "Inn Series." The chosen livery was the traditional tuscan red body with gold lettering. The No. 8286 was named Tiffin Inn.

In 1963, the Pennsylvania Railroad sought to replace its aging P-70 coaches for the New York World's Fair. They went to work and rebuilt forty-eight cars as passenger coaches, renumbering them 1500-1547.When PRR No. 1504 emerged from the shops, it had sixty four seats and a small twelve seat lounge at one end. The car featured a simple stainless steel body with standard PRR logos on each end and no longer had a specific name. On October 9, the rebuilt coach began serving the area between New York and Washington, D.C. The fair took place over two separate six-month seasons, April - October of 1964 and 1965.

On February 1, 1968, the Pennsylvania and New York Central Railroad merged to form what would be known as the Penn Central Transportation Company (PC). The coach was re-designated as PC No. 1504.

In 1976, Southeast Michigan Transport Authority (SEMTA) purchased twelve of the PC 1500 series coaches. Former No. 1504 was re-numbered to 104. It was purchased by the Maryland Department of Transportation in 1979 and rebuilt with Head-End-Power by General Electric in 1980. In 1994, electric sliding vestibule doors were added by Transportation and Transit Associates (TTA), to comply with Americans with Disabilities Act.

The No. 144 serviced Maryland Area Rail Commuter (MARC) as a part of their heritage fleet. Rebuilt to hold eighty two seats, the car was used as a commuter coach for many years. The No. 144 was retired in 2001 and stored at their Brunswick, Maryland facility until it was donated to the B&O Railroad Museum in 2005. The car was re-designated as BOMX No. 144, Ron Drucker in 2013. The coach is used daily to transport museum visitors on the Mile One Express.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 7/20/2019 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.