901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Detailed Information

PEPCO No. 43

Railroad of Record: Potomac Electric Power Co. (PEPCO)

Date Built: 1938

Type of Locomotive: 0-4-0, Fireless Steam Locomotive

Manufactured by: Heisler Locomotive Works

Locomotive Weight: 35 tons

Dimensions:  21 ft 4 in long,  11 ft 4 in high,  9 ft 6 in wide.
        
The locomotive was built in 1938, by the Heisler Locomotive Works of Erie, Pennsylvania for the Potomac Electric Power Co. (PEPCO) in Alexandria, Virginia. It served at the Buzzard Point Power Station until 1974. From 1974-1978, the locomotive serviced the Potomac River Power Station. No. 43 was only retired because it was too small to handle the modern 70-100 ton coal hoppers. It was restored by PEPCO and donated to the Smithsonian in October 1979. It resided inside for many years, which accounts for its immaculate condition. To historians of locomotives, of railroading as an industry, or of energy generation, the fireless is an albeit interesting but obscure variation on the technology of highly specialized locomotives.

As a type, the "fireless" locomotive was indeed highly specialized, and few were manufactured.  The Heisler Works of Erie, Pa., produced by far the greatest number of examples of the fireless type, about 50.  Such a locomotive could only operate on trackage very near a large, stationary steam plant, to which the locomotive would return every few hours of operation for hookup to the stationary plant's boiler - in order to recharge the locomotive with superheated water - i.e. liquid water heated under high pressure and thus to temperatures well above 100 degrees C.  (Superheated water contained in the cylindrical "pressure vessel" that is the principal visible feature of the locomotive provided the short-term source of steam to run the pistons to propel the wheels.  By opening the throttle, the pressure within the vessel of superheated water was slightly reduced, and the slightly lowered pressure resulted in the generation of water vapor - saturated steam at the new pressure - to push the pistons.)  There is no firebox to heat the water; hence the term, "fireless."

In the US, fireless locomotives ran exclusively on the small network of tracks located within the boundaries of some of the largest coal-fired power stations operated by utilities.  Fireless locomotives were "mules" that shuttled loaded coal cars over distances of about a hundred yards from reserve coal-car storage tracks located within the power station's grounds over to the coal intake unit of the plant, and then moved the empty cars back to an outbound track within the plant grounds for pickup by a connecting railroad company's regular freight trains.  A fireless could not travel more than about five miles in total before requiring a re-charge of superheated water from its "host" plant. 

Donated to the B&O on August, 18, 2009. The locomotive is currently on display in the North Car Shop.

 

View full album here.


 

Connect with us: Follow us on Twitter  Become a Fan on Facebook  Watch videos on YouTube


© 12/11/2018 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.