Title: Senior Marketing Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: 2 FTE
Reporting to the executive director, the Senior Marketing Director (SMD) is the B&O Railroad Museum’s senior marketing and communications professional. The SMD plays an instrumental role in the expression of the museum, its identity, and its strategy. This role is directly responsible for the organization’s marketing and communications activities and oversees the development and delivery of a fully integrated marketing and communications strategy for all Museum initiatives.
This is an exciting time for a Senior Marketing professional to join the Museum. We are in a growth mode and have several local, regional and national initiatives underway that will take someone with energy, passion, commitment, connections, and drive to help us achieve the visibility these initiatives deserve. For example, we are preparing for the 200th Anniversary of American railroading in 2027 and are beginning to plan in earnest for statewide and national celebrations. Additionally, we were designated a National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Site in 2021 and plan to open a new permanent exhibit this Fall with a year-long dedication. Do you have ideas for these initiatives, partners to engage, national media to pitch? The Museum is also focused on community impact. We have recently launched an innovative workforce development initiative using our 40-acre campus and are actively expanding our educational programs, particularly those for children with special needs.
While the museum has a world-class collection, a robust and engaged board, and a dedicated, passionate staff, the new SMD should be prepared to bring fresh eyes to advertising and marketing campaigns, group tours, and brand development. We seek a creative, entrepreneurial, and resourceful SMD prepared to deploy the conventional and unconventional when it comes to raising visibility, engaging new audiences, and advancing the museum’s message. The SMD will be an integral part of the Museum’s leadership team who ensures that the institutional vision and values are successfully conveyed through the Museum’s marketing, advertising, public relations, promotions, social media, and email activities. Working collaboratively with the museum’s small but skilled team, the SMD will produce consistent on-brand outreach and experiences across earned, owned, purchased and partnership channels. As our Senior Director of Marketing you will wear several hats – public relations guru, advertising expert, world-class tourism marketer, brand strategist, partnership-builder. We recognize that these are several disciplines but that is the advantage of working at a small shop and if you view it as an advantage, you may be the person for us!
- Developing and defining the B&O Railroad Museum’s brand and strategy with executive director, the creative team, and the programming team.
- Managing media outreach and media sponsorships – with particular attention paid to expanding media coverage regionally and nationally;
- Drafting and sending press releases; Cultivating, managing, and expanding relationships with media partners; Researching media and pitching stories
- Booking and developing all ads and media campaigns; assessing data analytics and evaluating ROI, especially important for major museum ticketed events;
- Managing all event marketing collateral in collaboration with creative director;
- Overseeing content on the website (website was just re-designed)
- Gather content for, and work with creative director on, the production and messaging for brochures, annual reports, and other branded communication pieces;
- Actively engaging with other tourism organizations and peers ensuring the museum has a voice in these organizations;
- Working with the social media manager to generate strategy for new and creative social media posts (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok);
- Tracking and filing media stories,
- Recruiting interns to assist the department;
- Overseeing the management of direct mail marketing pieces – in collaboration with the chief development officer;
- Supervising the Marketing team;
- Staff special events and programs as needed (occasional nights and weekends);
- All other jobs as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and/or graduate degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred;
- A minimum of 7 years directly related experience with demonstrated media engagement expertise; additionally, candidates with fundraising campaign experience are desired.
If you consider yourself a “builder,” are resourceful, and enjoy being entrepreneurial, this may be the job for you.
Submit resume and cover letter to HR1@borail.org.
Preference given to applications received by June 15, 2022.
The B&O Railroad Museum offers a competitive salary, full benefits, free onsite parking and a hybrid work environment.