Dates: June 27th-July 1st, 2022
General Summary of Job Duties
The B&O Railroad Museum seeks an organized, creative, and energetic candidate for the temporary position of Sensory Friendly Camp Counselor during our week of Sensory Friendly Camp. This camp will rThe B&O Railroad Museum seeks an organized, creative, and energetic candidate for the temporary position of Sensory Friendly Camp Aide during our week of Sensory Friendly Camp. This camp will run June 27th-July 1st, 2022. The required time commitment would be from 8:30am-4:00pm each day of camp. Working closely with Camp Counselors, our Education Specialist and other camp aides, the candidate will act as a 1:1 aide (when needed) for individual campers or as a camp assistant to help the entire group throughout the week. The museum desires a candidate who has experience working with members of the neuro-diverse community and/or experience working one-on-one with a child, someone who enjoys teaching students of all abilities and acting as a role model for the area’s youth.
- Along with camp counselors, assist in the facilitation of sensory-friendly activities each day of camp from 9:00-3:00pm.
- Act as a 1:1 aide for any camper who may require individual assistance throughout the week.
- Plan activities for and oversee after camp care which runs from 3:00-4:00pm each day after camp
- Employ good conflict resolution with empathy and understanding
- Listen to the needs of the child and be able to respond to each child’s needs promptly.
- Be flexible and able to adjust program delivery in the moment as circumstances change
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
A high school diploma or its equivalent as well 2+ years working as a student aide or with the neuro-diverse community. Experience working in a day camp setting is preferred.
Required knowledge and abilities:
- Strong knowledge and experience in standard practice of teaching children of the neuro-diverse community
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including interacting and speaking with children
- Have experience in resolving disagreements among children that may arise throughout the camp day
- Have strong classroom management skills in keeping children engaged and safe throughout their day at camp
- Ability to work in person throughout the duration of the camp week.
- Ability to pass background check
Please apply to Edu@BORail.org with a resume and cover letter expressing interest. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The B&O Railroad Museum is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.