Dates: June 27th-July 1st, 2022
General Summary of Job Duties
The B&O Railroad Museum seeks an organized, creative, and energetic candidate for the temporary position of Sensory Friendly Camp Counselor during our week of Sensory Friendly Camp. This camp will run June 27th-July 1st, 2022. The required time commitment would be from 8:30am-4:00pm each day of camp and 5 hours of prep time to be completed prior to the camp week. Working closely with two other Camp Counselors, our Education Specialist and other camp aides, the candidate will be responsible for the care of up to 15 campers each week including facilitation of the camp day and one hour of after camp care. The Museum desires a candidate who is trained and certified in special education, enjoys teaching students of all abilities and acting as a role model for the area’s youth.
- Along with other camp counselors, facilitate sensory-friendly activities each day of camp from 9:00-3:00pm.
- Plan activities for and oversee after camp care which runs from 3:00-4:00pm each day after camp
- Employ good conflict resolution with empathy and understanding
- Listen to the needs of the child and be able to respond to each child’s needs promptly.
- Be flexible and able to adjust program delivery in the moment as circumstances change
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
A college degree in Special Education or 5+ years working with the neuro-diverse community. Teachers’ certification in special education preferred.
Required knowledge and abilities:
- Strong knowledge and experience in standard practice of teaching children of the neuro-diverse community
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including interacting and speaking with children
- Ability to keep the daily schedule on time, and maintain organizations amongst activities and supplies
- Have experience in resolving disagreements among children that may arise throughout the camp day
- Have strong classroom management skills in keeping children engaged and safe throughout their day at camp
- Ability to work in person through out the duration of the camp week.
- Ability to pass background check
Please apply to Edu@BORail.org with a resume and cover letter expressing interest. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The B&O Railroad Museum is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.