Dates: July 18th-22nd, 2022 and August 8th-12th, 2022
General Summary of Job Duties
The B&O Railroad Museum seeks an organized, creative, and energetic candidate for the temporary position of Camp Counselor during two weeks of Reading on the Rails Camp. This camp will run July 18th-22nd, 2022 and August 8th-12th, 2022. The required time commitment would be from 8:30am-4:00pm each day of camp and 5 hours of prep time to be completed prior to the camp week. Working closely with the Education Specialist and other volunteer camp staff, the candidate will be responsible for the care of up to 25 campers each week including facilitation of the camp day and one hour of after camp care. The Museum desires a candidate who enjoys teaching and acting as a role model for the area’s youth.
- Work with education staff and additional camp volunteers to facilitate activities for up to 25 campers during 2 weeks of camp (July 18th-22nd & August 8th-12th)
- Plan activities for and oversee after camp care which runs from 3-4pm each day after camp
- Employ good conflict resolution with empathy and understanding
- Listen to the needs of the child and be able to respond to each child’s needs promptly.
- Be flexible and able to adjust program delivery in the moment as circumstances change
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
A high school diploma or its equivalent and at least 1 year working with children is required for this position. Experience working in a day camp setting preferred.
Required knowledge and abilities:
- Experience working with children for at least one year or currently enrolled in a college program designed for working with children
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including interacting and speaking with children
- Should be able to keep the daily schedule on time maintain organizations amongst activities and supplies
- Have experience in resolving disagreements among children that may arise throughout the camp day
- Strong classroom management skills- the ability to keep children on task and following the rules of the museum throughout the day
- Ability to work in person through out the duration of both weeks of camp.
- Ability to pass background check
Please apply to Edu@BORail.org with a resume and cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The B&O Railroad Museum is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.