Description

The Mt. Clare Depot, or Mt. Clare Station, is the oldest surviving building on the museum’s historic campus and is a National Historic Landmark. It was built in 1851 to provide improved passenger service for Baltimore’s Southwest neighborhoods. The B&O’s Annual Report of 1851 announced completion of the depot stating “a Passenger Lodge, with offices on the second story has been built at Poppleton street, in this City, to afford a very necessary accommodation to the citizens of the Western section of the City, who take or leave the cars at that place.” It was also at this point that trains stopped to have steam engines exchanged for horse power before heading into downtown Baltimore (or vice versa). The original passenger station, what was the first in the nation, was abandoned and would have been in what is now the museum’s parking lot. 

  Mt. Clare Depot contains public exhibitions today. Originally, it contained two waiting rooms, a ticket booth, and offices upstairs. The building once served as the entrance of the museum, as well. 

 

 

 

 

Did You Know?

Railroads made possible the standardization of time in the United States.

2020
Award

Voted Washington Parent's Best Museum Winner 2020

Close Search