901 West Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21223
Phone:410-752-2490
Historic site and buildings:

Mt. Clare depot (ca. 1851)

Mt. Clare restroedThe Mt. Clare depot is the oldest surviving building on the Museum’s campus. It was built in 1851 to provide improved passenger service for Baltimore’s Southwest neighborhoods.

Mt. Clare

The B&O’s Annual Report of 1851 announced completion of the depot stating “a Passenger Lodge, with offices on the second story has been built at Poppleton street, in this City, to afford a very necessary accommodation to the citizens of the Western section of the City, who take or leave the cars at that place.” It was also at this point that trains stopped to have steam engines exchanged for horse power before heading into downtown Baltimore (or vice versa).
 
It contained two waiting rooms, a ticket booth, and offices. The building once served as the entrance of the Museum. Today the building houses exhibits relating to the telegraph and passenger travel.


© 9/30/2014 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum™. All Rights Reserved.