Historic site and buildings:
The Tender Kitchen (ca. 1919)
The B&O built the "tender kitchen" in 1919. Although it was nicknamed tender kitchen because it was occasionally used for repairing locomotive tenders, it was primarily used for repairing freight cars and was first introduced as the B&O's new "Car Repair Shed."
When built, the building was considered a state-of-the-art industrial structure. It was 380' long and 87.5' wide. It consisted of two sections; a 240' long main building (with roof), and an additional 140' extension (without roof) that allowed a crane capable of lifting 60,000 pounds to move the entire distance of the structure. The walls were reinforced concrete and the roof composed of large timber trusses covered with wooden sheathing and then corrugated iron sheathing. Glass windows along the side of the structure maximized light inside the shop. The Railway Review boasted there was enough space in the building that 25 freight cars could fit under the main roof and an additional 15 freight cars in the uncovered portion. Long since abandoned, the tender kitchen awaits reuse by the museum in the future.