Please see below for frequently asked questions regarding Neurodivergent/Sensory Access and Physical Access, as well as Allergen information.
Rather than having one specific sensory-friendly train ride our goal is to make the event accessible no matter when you are able to join us! As part of this effort, we have developed an extensive list of resources for our Neurodivergent visitors to make the experience more predictable and comfortable.
• Social Narrative for Young Children: A walkthrough of the entire experience featuring images, child-oriented language, and first-person speech.
• Social Narrative for Teens and Adults: A walkthrough of the entire experience featuring images, adult oriented language, and second person speech.
• Visual Schedule Cards: Cards featuring activity choices to assist planning your experience.
• Take Home Sensory Kits: Sensory kits will include various stimming objects, a sensory map, visual schedule cards, and earplugs. Kits can be picked up at Admissions during check-in or in the Roundhouse.
• Headphone Check-out: Full size headphones will be available for check-out at Admissions. Headphones should be returned to Admissions prior to exiting the North Car Shop.
• Sensory Station: A large tent will be set up in the Roundhouse to act as a quiet room. The Sensory Station will feature dim lighting, stimming furniture, soft landings, and be a Character Free Zone.
Many event staff and volunteers will participate in an accessibility training before the Polar Express begins in order to best support our Neurodivergent visitors. Trained staff and volunteers will be identifiable by a white, circular pin featuring the rainbow infinity symbol for Neurodivergence.
The event will take place in the North Car Shop and Roundhouse at the museum. Both locations are physically accessible to visitors with mobility aids.
Visitors using wheelchairs will be given priority boarding for the train ride. Please purchase Bronze Level tickets for a physically accessible railcar.
The cookie served during the train ride will be Homestyle Old Fashion Sugar Cookie. A complete list of ingredients for the cookie and hot chocolate can be found here.
A complete menu for the Candy Cane Cafe will be posted soon.
For questions regarding event accessibility or accommodations please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.